RSD & You

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You know I've been a terrible owner of this website these following months.  I've been going through a divorce so I've locked myself in my room and put myself from everybody which is totally the opposite from what I've told you guys to do.  Remember guys you can live w/ RSD or you can Die w/ RSD it is totally your choice.  I have gone back to school and I have 4.0 except my english class which kicking my butt. 
We'll be gone soon so have a wonderful life and I love each and every one of you.

Take care and if you need me my email is blueberry1999@hotmail.com

Thank you all for being so very loyal!!!

Sincerely,

Patches

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Information on CRPS/RSD & affects on Internal organs  (Read 13242 times)

Informational

• Applaud: 5
Information on CRPS/RSD & affects on Internal organs
« on: June 26, 2011, 19:16:30 »

http://rsdrx.com/rsdpuz4.0/puz_34.htm

RSD PUZZLE #34
"CAN RSD INVOLVE INTERNAL ORGANS?"

RSD invariably involves the internal organs. Usually the skin surface is cold at the expense of increased circulation to the internal organs. This increased circulation can cause osteoporosis, fractures of bone, abdominal cramps and diarrhea, disturbance of absorption of foods with resultant weight loss, water retention with aggravation of premenstrual headaches and depression, persistent nausea and vomiting, as well as severe vascular headaches mistaken for "cluster headache".

In addition, the sympathetic dystrophy can cause the complication of intractable hypertension which responds best to alpha I blockers (Dibenzyline, Hytrin, or Clonodine). The RSD can cause attacks of irregular or fast heart beat, chest pain, coronary artery spasm (angina), as well as disturbance of function of other internal organs. A few examples are frequency and urgency of urination, respiratory disturbance such as dyspnea and apneic attacks, and attacks of severe abdominal pain.

Laparoscopy may reveal congestion and inflammation of the ovaries, uterus or small bowel.

Attacks of fluctuating blood pressure may also be accompanied by constriction of the blood vessels to the kidney resulting in periodic bleeding in the urine as well.

The internal organs complication may become aggravated by traumatic effect of sympathetic nerve blocks. One such complication is accidental trauma to the kidney with resultant hematuria (blood in urine) and aggravation of hypertension.

Nerve blocks and more importantly physical therapy help improve the skin circulation and reduce the deep circulation calming down the inflammatory affect of RSD over the internal organs. As mentioned above, alpha I blockers are quite affective in treatment of this condition.

Attacks of swelling of the internal organs complicated by intermittent constriction of the blood vessels to different organs can result in chest pain, attacks of sharp central pain (stabbing severe pain in the chest or abdomen), and changes in voice (suddenly developing a temporary "chipmunk" type of voice change). The sharp, stabbing, central pain can be helped with treatment with medications such as anticonvulsant (Tegretol or Neurontin).

The use of catheters adjacent to the sympathetic change such as in the lumbar sympathetic change can help prevent repeated needle infection for sympathetic nerve blocks. However, because of the congestion of the internal organs the catheter may irritate the sympathetic nerve branches causing constriction of the blood vessels to the spinal cord with temporary paraplegia. As soon as the weakness of extremities develops, the catheter should be removed. Not heeding to this ominous sign can result in paralysis of the lower extremities and incontinence.

The same congestion of internal organs can also cause hypersensitivity to smell and aversion to taste of certain foods.
"Living with CRPS/RSD, Not Dying with CRPS/RSD." ;D

Informational

• Applaud: 5
Re: Information on CRPS/RSD & affects on Internal organs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 19:20:52 »

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/11/26/brain-crps.html

Hello all,
Below is an article describing the physical affect of RSD/CRPS on the brain. There is apparently a noticable physical change to the brain once one has come in contact with this monster we all have in common. We all know by experience though of this change in that none of us have been the same since exposure. Just about every part of our mental capacity has been effected in some way. I could possibly list a few, but I would most certainly miss some and not do the article justice. The writing mentions a picture or graphic, that I have removed to prevent any band-width issues, but by clicking the link at the top of the page you will be directed to the article in full with the graphic.
This article only echoes what we have learned to live with but it is refreshing to see research that starts to inform others of the problems associated with this life touched by RSD.

I hope this first of many breakthroughs that are revealed in the diagnosing treating of this malady we are learning and living with daily.

The article is found on the web site for CBC.ca and their web address is www.cbc.ca/news/

Brain is rewired in patients with chronic pain syndrome
CBC News

The brains of people with a chronic pain condition look like an inept cable worker rewired areas related to emotion, pain perception and skin temperature, a brain imaging study suggests.

In Wednesday's issue of the journal Neuron, researchers reported using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to look for the differences in the brains of 22 normal subjects and 22 subjects with a chronic pain condition called complex region pain syndrome.

The brains of chronic pain patients showed changes in the brain's white matter, the cable-like network of fibres that deliver messages between neurons.

"This is the first evidence of brain abnormality in these patients," said the study's lead investigator, Vania Apkarian, a professor of physiology at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago.
"People didn't believe these patients. This is the first proof that there is a biological underpinning for the condition."
The syndrome often begins with significant damage to a hand or foot. In five per cent of patients, the pain continues to rage long after the injury has healed. The cause is unknown.
Typical features include:

-   Pain that radiates from the injury site, such as the hand, to the rest of the arm or even the whole body.

-   Skin colour changing to blue or red, and skin temperatures that feel hotter at first and then colder as the condition becomes chronic.

-   A hike in immune markers in the blood showing the immune system has shifted into overdrive.
The white matter changes are related to the duration and intensity of pain and anxiety that patients feel, Apkarian said.

**Dramatic improvements or remission are possible if treatment such as anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, sympathetic nerve blockers, electrical impulses applied to nerve endings, biofeedback and spinal cord simulation are used early, according to the Mayo Clinic.

The new anatomical findings could provide targets for potential drug treatments, the researchers said.
Aside from the white matter changes, the brains of people with CRPS also showed an atrophy of the neurons or grey matter that has been found in other types of chronic pain.

**I highlighted this statement for the specific purpose of voicing a comment.

The remission mentioned is the opinion of some and continues to be elusive in most. While many of the reatments mentioned offer some relief, one must be careful to research ANY treatment that is invasive in nature. There is a procedure where a radio frequency laser is applied to the nerves central path that is to offer temporary pain relief. This relief is minimal at best and more times than not leaves the patient in worse shape after the fact.
The patient is likely to experince:

* More frequent flare ups
    * More intense flare ups and overall pain
    * And more difficulty controlling the pain at any level

Thus making the procedure "iffy" at best.
Thanks and many blessings, gojogo.
"Living with CRPS/RSD, Not Dying with CRPS/RSD." ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up